Wednesday, September 3, 2008

End of Preseason

Kyle Orton loves sunflower seeds. Watch him after any three and out and he can't wait to dig in to the sunflower seeds. Kyle looked alright in the final preseason game against the Browns. So did Rex and Caleb. Rex drove 95 yards and threw for a touchdown on his one possession. Caleb Hanie scrambled his way across the field and put some points up. Someone even made Mark Bradley look good. Did Kyle throw for a touchdown in the preseason? I've decided who I want for our quarterback.






And this guy can be his backup.




I'm not going to hate on the Bears just yet. They are getting no respect by the sports world, many predicting a last place finish in the NFC North.
The Bears are starting almost every defensive starter that led us to the Superbowl. Vasher, Tillman. A. Brown, Ogunleye. Urlacher, Briggs. Tommie Harris, Mike Brown. That's a lot of Probowls. But how healthy are they? Lance Briggs is a tackling machine in the prime of his career, but Tommie might have a messed up knee. We heard a lot last season about Urlacher's arthritic back and neck surgery, but he said he was fine and got more money this summer. So did Tommie. Does this mean they are healthy?


Speaking of Ogunleye, he has a myspace page. www.myspace.com/official_adewaleogunleye. He has a lot of hot ladies for friends. This is a new phenomena I've discovered - Bears players on Myspace. There's no way Adewale even knows this page exists. A friend of his is getting laid by convincing Adewale to have a myspace page and offering to administer it for him.


I don't think we've learned much this preseason but I will point out a few more players who have stood out. Matt Forte, I'm convinced, is going to be a good running back. He continues to get the tough yards, the third and three yards, and he showed a good combination of power and speed in the last game as he hit some open field and put on a few moves to evade tackles. Is this guy handsome? I can't tell. Ask your wife or girlfriend. I think he looks a little like Pruitt Taylor Vince, the actor from Deadwood, The X-Files,House, JFK, Down By Law, Identity, and Natural Born Killers. Am I way off base here?

Brandon McGowan showed good instincts and toughness when he chased wide and threw down Jerome Harrison on a second and six on the Bears six yard line. This is a photo of Brandon McGowan - I think. I get my McGowan's and Manning's and McBride's and Graham's and Payne's confused. They're all secondary guys who have yet to distinguish themselves since the trading of Chris Harris to the Panthers. Harris went on to lead the league in forced fumbles for Carolina with 8. Good job with that one Angelo. Speaking of turnovers, I think the Bears have become so obsessed with stripping the ball that they are missing tackles.



I'd like to give my first Ed Schotz Good Sportsmanship Award to Alex Brown. A. Brown is one of my favorite players with a moustache. He got demoted last season by the upstart Mark Anderson. Did he gripe in public? Did he raise a stink? He upped his game and forced the Bears to make him a starter again. His huge Mickey Mouse hands block field goals and swat down passes with abandon.

1 comment:

  1. I never received the Ed Schotz Sportsmanship award but I am thrilled it exists!

    ReplyDelete